What the pandemic showed is that scientific process is messy with humans facing difficult choices. During the pandemic, we had two roads, the first was to slow down any government response until what we were truly facing and the second road was to act immediately even when we didn’t have all the needed information. Both choices meant hundreds of thousands would die but one road will preserve much of society and allow it to recover quickly. The second road led to more deaths, unemployment, children not educated, and did not stop the spread of the virus.
We chose the latter, and it was a disaster. Those who favored the first route of slowing down the process proved to be correct. They were more correct about the nature of the virus, the lethality and which age group most impacted, and understood the damage the lockdown would do. Many of the supporters of the lockdown have accepted many of the skeptic’s views. Dr. Leana Wen acknowledged that maybe the CDC overcounted actual deaths from Covid and many like Emily Oster that they were wrong on many of the key issues of the pandemic.
Tony Fauci and his associates have done more to undermine science than anyone could ever have and Dr. Fauci exposed the underbelly of our scientific class that politics and power plays a role in how science really works. It is not about science and even following science, but about continuing to support the narrative that those in power wanted. It could take a generation for people to believe in science as they saw big science destroyed scientific debate with many suffering as a result and careers destroyed or threatened. Millions lost their jobs first as the result of bad policies including lockdowns and later due to vaccine mandates, children uneducated and how many people will die prematurely from cancer or heart diseases?
For those interested in some of the climate alarmist ideas, here they are.
- Create a race of small people, so you have eugenics, and will it stop at just size?
- Geoengineering funded by Bill Gates to reduce the sun’s impact on the planet and make the planet colder, what can go wrong.
- Jan Goodell once suggested that “climate change” would be relieved if we had the population of 500 years ago. So, genocide has entered the climate debate for how do you get to this goal of reducing population this low without genocide? Nor has she been the only one.
- Elimination of fossil fuels and no return to nuclear energy, you are talking a 19th century economy.
- Restrict the yield of farming and the elimination of husbandry. So, we are talking meatless society and smaller yield means less food. Less food combined with no fossil fuels means billions die of starvation. Goes with reducing population and ends up with genocide.
- Elimination or curtailing of capitalism combined with elimination of fossil fuels means less prosperity, more poverty, more starvation. Genocide.
- Restricting freedom of speech and more authoritarian government.
Capitalism allows us to find solutions to future energy needs and survive whatever nature hits us with We have lowered death by 90 percent in extreme climate crisis like tornadoes and hurricanes.
The reality is that the solutions are far worse than even the worst-case scenario they come up and those scenarios are the least likely to happen. So, the climate alarmists have managed to combine elements of eugenics, massive starvation, extreme poverty and for the survivors, a less free society.
Watching Davos, I come to one conclusion everyone who showed up agreed on all the major issues. There was no actual diversity of ideas but a lot of stupid ideas. There is Siemens Chairman Jim Hagemann who says we need at least one billion people eating bugs to save the planet from our climate crisis. I wonder who those billion people are and where they live. If you are poor or live in a developing country in Africa, you will get a diet of bugs.
Then there is this “Government must act as investors of first resort to invite wider private sector interest and investment in technologies and sector with the highest potential to build the markets of tomorrow.” The government will direct investments. They added “ With global demand for industrial products projected to grow significantly by 2050, the decarbonization of industry is fundamental to the global energy transition. Just five industries (cement and concrete, iron and steel, oil and gas, chemicals and coal mining) together are responsible for 80 percent of industrial emissions.” These businesses will either be restricted or eliminated, industries that provide jobs for millions.
Never have so many people have so much of high opinion of themselves to be our better but yet support or come up with so many bad ideas.